Sunday, June 11, 2006

My writing student's mother gave me the gift of ferns today!

We actually scavenged them from her neighbor's yard. [Who doesn't want ferns in his/her yard?] My friend did more of the digging than I, but I was the one who greedily urged her to clear out this entire area of the yard and thin out another (that I would have to share the labors of the afternoon with her was weighing heavy on my mind as we considered whether or not we had a sufficiency).

When we returned to her house, I happily helped her plant the fern she kept (still feeling guilty about how many I was getting). I rather enjoyed planting with her. She is skilled with the shovel (were I to do so I would start wheezing), while I have a deft touch in scooping soil around the plant and properly pressing it down firmly. Sharing oneness with the soil is quite satisfying to me!

Her husband, after months of hinting, cooked chicken satay for me. I might have showed a bit more greed in consuming the results of his rather skilled culinary labors.

It was too dark when I returned home to plant mine, so I tucked them in a darkened corner and doused them with water. I cannot wait to see them in their new home!

No comments: