Tuesday, June 13, 2006

My leg (formerly ankle) hurts. I found it difficult to ignore today. So, of course, it makes perfect sense that, once home, I wrapped my leg, cast and all, in a kitchen garbage bag and went outside to mow the lawn.

Close your eyes and picture a chia pet. Now, transplant that image to small spots across a plain of dirt. That is my front yard. It is funny, most of my back yard is lush and green (especially since I am no longer a mowing murderess), but there is a barren patch that stretches from the first of my lower deck all the way by the sheds and to the gate on the side of my house. Then, from the gate all along the side of the house is more lushness. But once you get to the front portion, there is really only a wide strip of lawn to the left (facing outward) in front of my rose bed. The rest is a barren wasteland barring the chia spots.

I haven't mowed in a couple of weeks, so my now longer grass was quite tall and in need of mowing.

I did feel a bit sorry for myself, slipping on the grass from wearing the garbage bag (I didn't want grass clippings all over the cast). Imagine how foolish I felt when I discovered that my writing student's mother had called with news of another free fern. Something to be thankful for again, instead of focusing on that which I wished were different.

This time, I will be getting a red cinnamon fern...I cannot wait to see it!

No comments: