Thursday, November 02, 2006

Today, I laid a laminate floor in bedroom where I have been honing my home improvement skills. I did have the help of my writing student's siblings, but her mother had one unexpected thing crop up after another.

WS' middle sister is twelve. You would not believe how much of a help L has been during the renovation process...both on this bedroom and on their computer room finished last month. Between the two projects, She helped paint, lay an Armstrong vinyl floor, hang drywall (including measuring, cutting, floating, taping, scraping, and sanding), and lay the laminate floor (including measuring, cutting, and fitting pieces all by herself. At twelve!

I have enjoyed working with L because I have also watched her gain a certain level of confidence that has been a pleasure to witness. I mean, she already knows her way around the kitchen (although she is the epitome of the messy cook), but I think this is something more. What twelve-year-old girl do you know who can join a construction crew and work in a commercial kitchen?

L is also a great athlete, a creative movie maker, and a fierce game-player! She has no problem beating me. [SIGH] Aside from the latter, she is amazing. I find myself thinking about her potential when she is grown and marvel that two such strong young women are growing up in that household. Given the fact that the six-year-old sister is already reading, beating me at games, and better than me at remembering the rule of Texas Hold 'Em poker...I think another one is on the horizon...


I did practically run out of their house once the floor was done. Working from 9:45 until 7:14 was a bit more than I had anticipated. The blasted doorway to the room was my nemesis and slowed down the rate of progress for over an hour. I am hurting again, especially my lower back. If only I didn't need those particular joints.

I am ensconced in the green chair, having taken both Ibuprophen and Tylenol (washed down with a curative dose of Dr. Pepper). I have only to burn the CD, review the on-line resume and portfolio I created this week, and ... get to bed at a decent hour! No more staying up all night writing and watching mediocre movies on television any more, eh? I will have a job soon...I hope...

No comments: