Monday, November 20, 2006

What a day!

I applied for six jobs, made milk-chocolate-caramel chip cookies from scratch, briefly worked with my writing student, cooked dinner for my father and brother, played around with editing photos of my dear friend B's beautiful, bouncing baby boy that she gave birth to on the 17th, took out the trash, worked on my novel, updated my computers, vacuumed the house, scrubbed the gunk off of the stove, walked Kashi, cleaned the bird cage, burned some CD's, and finished putting away my laundry.

For dinner, I made refried beans and guacamole from scratch, chicken fajitas, and tacos. I was in the middle of practically throwing food around the kitchen in my attempt to create a great meal for my brother and father when my writing student called to ask if she could come over to pick up something, drop off a few things, and have me look at an essay for a scholarship application.

I told her to come on over without letting her know I was awash in culinary madness. Trooper that she is, she joined the fray immediately, helping me cook so that I could read her work.

Oh, if I had the moment to do so, I would have cried. Her writing prompt was to write something about walls. She chose the Vietnam Memorial, but never once gave name to her choice in the essay. Instead, she took her readers through the experience of approaching the wall and realizing the enormity of the moment and the lessons that memorial holds for those who dare to look.

A few edits, some quick discussion, and key bits of timely culinary assistance later, she was gone. A while later, both male relatives were sated in a most satisfactory way. A few hours after that my brother and I were cheering the Jaguars as they led over the Giants (I have high hopes that the Cowboys will soon be tied for the lead in their division, although the Giants will still hold the tie-breaker over them).

This day was filled from beginning to end. I must say, I am looking forward to tumbling into my bed. Still, this day was filled from beginning to end. For that, I am most thankful.

No comments: