Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Would that I could have just one moment when I knew that there was at least one person in my life to whom my path mattered enough to remember the quotidian reality of multiple sclerosis or asthma or arthritis...or crazy enough...the battle of life with all three.

Not a day goes by where I don't long for just one day of feeling well. Not a day goes by where I do not hurt in one part of me or another. Not a day goes by where I am not starkly reminded how the holes in my cognitive function are growing, inexorably leading me down a path of no return. Repeatedly, I find myself defending that which I wish were a consideration of me rather than an inconvenience to others.

12 years of MS came and went unnoticed...as did six with asthma...and three with arthritis.

Even the remembrance of a plastic fork would do wonders for my wearied heart.

5 comments:

ftwayne96 said...

Very touching post, Myrtle. But your last sentence stumps me. Remembrance of a plastic fork? What am I missing? Thanks.

Myrtle said...

I cannot eat with metal utensils now. If I do, all I taste is the metal. I can use a metal knife, but not forks or spoons.

Even now, my family will set a metal fork for me. Few remember. Really, I think just Bettina.

I keep a plastic fork in my purse because a lot of restaurants do not have them.

ftwayne96 said...

Wow. I had no idea. Is that a side effect of your medication or a direct result of the MS?

Oh, the little things we take for granted. I hate using plastic utensils, and here you have to eat with them all the time. Somehow, hearing this is earth-shattering to me. That bit of detail makes what you are going through all the more real for me. . .

Myrtle said...

It's the MS. Some times, I will be at a restaurant and realize that I do not have a fork and it will not be the type of restaurant has one. I try also to keep some in the car, but schlepping out the car when your meal is waiting is discouraging. Of course, trying to eat without touching the fork or spoon is very, very hard.

I also have problems with things that have been in metal cans. This is especially true if there is some sort of tomato aspect to it. Refried beans are fine. Although...my favorite, LaCostina Refried Black beans, are not available here.

My favorite fork is from McDonald's. My favorite spoon is Panera's. I like the smaller fork because I can only open my mouth about a finger width before my jaw hurts. I prefer the wider spoon of Panera for much the same reason. Both are the easiest with which for me to eat.

ftwayne96 said...

Again, I had no idea. It helps bring the everyday reality you live with closer to home so I can understand. Thanks for your response to my comments.