Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Medication misery...


I spent last night battling what I am 99.99% sure was theophylline toxicity.  The nausea and abdominal pain overlap with regular dyautonomia induced innards misery, but the abdominal pain of theophylline toxicity is more like whole abdomen stabbing pains and cramps.  I also had the headache, the fluttery feeling, being short of breath, tremors, anxiety, and this really ineffable feeling in my upper chest and neck that is unique to high concentration of theophylline in my blood.

I did do some frantic Googling, because it seems to me rather illogical that a mere 100 mg could tip me over into the theophylline abyss.  I found several medical articles on that very phenomenon with long-term users and the extended release formula of the drug.  So, I have not taken any of it today.  As the day wore on, my abdomen hurt less, my headache eased somewhat, the fluttery feeling, tremors, and anxiety have all abated. And the breathlessness is much better.  Coincidence????

I emailed the cardiologist early yesterday evening, because I was starting to get concerned, but I learned this morning that he is out of the office all week.  I emailed back that, after last night, I stopped the theophylline, will start it back up on Thursday, and will wait until next Monday to try the increased dosage again.

Because I was ever so frighteningly ill last night, of course, today, I was determined to be productive. I emptied the dishwasher and caught up on the dishes in the sink.  There were two of the seven loads of laundry hanging up to dry in the basement, so I fetched them, carried them up to my bedroom on the second floor, and put them all away.  I fetched more mason jar meals from the freezer, as well as some ham to thaw out tonight so that tomorrow I can try my hand at split pea soup.  I also fetched, filled, and hung all four hummingbird feeders because I saw a hummingbird on the honeysuckle bush yesterday. While I was outside, I pruned off the dead roses; all three bushes are blooming nicely.  I cleaned up Amos' major deposits from the yard.  And I filled the bird bath out back, since we are actually having sunshine (GASP!) today.  I also added water to the fountain on the front porch and watered the plants.  And I brewed four quarts of ginger water.  Finally, I emptied the trash and took the trash and the recycling out to the bins in the alley.





Oh, yes!  I also stopped to take a photo of my day lilies!





Okay ... more than just one photo of my day lilies.  Who needs photo software when you can adjust the color saturation merely by adjusting the angle at which the photo is lit!

Now, obviously, I am utterly exhausted and ensconced in the GREEN chair, planning to do nothing for the rest of the day ... or two or three.  I am not on the couch because, yesterday, Amos felt the need hop up next to me so that he could feel safer whilst he regurgitated his entire meal, after having first left a small pile of food on the rug.  Why does he not understand the proper place to vomit or regurgitate is the wood floor???

Somehow, a measly half cup of food ended up on two cushions, my slippers, the rug, the wood floor, the coffee table (an antique trunk), the side of the couch, my pants, and the large pillow I had with me on the couch.  It was very, very, very hard not to be angry with Amos.  So, as a result, two of the couch cushions are against the wall drying.  If they still are not clean (I haven't checked), I plan to trying to actually wash them.  You know, when I was looking at couches, I wanted a leather couch (have wanted for years).  If I had bought one, it would be in much better shape than this fabric one, despite its supposed durability.

SIGH.

No comments: