Thursday, March 16, 2006

I am on my way to bed again. It is 10:00, so later than yesterday, but still quite early for me. I would have given in to my fatigue earlier, but I needed to work this evening to finish up a "task" that needed doing.

I worked all evening because I had to leave work early to meet the HVAC contractor at the house this afternoon. My three and a half year old AC (translate that to something that SHOULD NOT be broken and yet is and SHOULD BE under warranty and yet is not) stopped working. I needed it on Monday when it was so warm (85 in my house by the night's end). Practically the worst thing you can hear is that your coil is leaking.

But, wait, I also asked him about the four and a half year old furnace. Thus far this winter, I have spent $800 in gas bills (not including this month which has not arrived) while keeping a 1200 square foot home at only 68 degrees. I have been frigid all winter and paying through the nose for the privilege.

Four other times I have had contractors look at the furnace trying to figure out what was wrong. All of them told me it was oversized, but not much more. There were no gas leaks. It was working perfectly.

Actually, it is not.

Because it is for a house four times larger than mine, with four times longer and larger ducts, it overheats constantly. A safety mechanism kicks in and shuts off the gas until it cools down enough to come back on. So the unit runs constantly but most of the heat remains in the basement and is a fire hazard. Bottom line, I need to yank this perfectly usable, relatively new furnace for one a quarter of its size...so that my home is safe, I no longer freeze, and my gas bills drop.

So, for the bargain basement price of $2,100, I can have my HVAC system back to working order.

At least I can be thankful that Marty took the time to study the furnace, poke around, watch it function, and determine the reason for the lack of heat despite gargantuan bills. Inside the unit, there is evidence of high heat on the wiring and the walls. What slightly appeased my horror at the expense was his obvious anger that anyone in his profession would have installed the furnace in the first place. The previous owner must not have had a clue to have been hoodwinked on the furnace. The oversized unit cost him far more than the right sized one would have. Of course, it is costing me as well.

The other comfort is that Marty and his partner will be properly "ducting" the two units together. The fraud who put in the A/C for me cobbled something together and made quite a mess. Marty made me smile because he said he does the prettiest duct work in all of Northern Virginia. He knew I was upset.

So...I had bad news...worked late finishing a project...and am off to bed.

At least tomorrow is Friday.

No comments: