Wednesday, March 29, 2006

While waiting for the world's greatest handyman on Monday, I finally weeded the last portion of the flower bed by my stoop.

You see, this past summer I decided to test the commonly shared gardening factoid that if you put at least four inches of mulch down you will not have a problem with weeds. I, however, have spent my whole gardening career spreading the mulch as thinly as possible to save labor and money. Quite skeptical over the whole thing, I nevertheless put down nearly three dozen bags of mulch, except for the portion closest to the stoop.

This contractor was supposed to be replacing the stoop and repairing the section of sidewalk that has been missing since July 2004 when the VERY EXPENSIVE sewage pipe in my front yard had to be replaced. Those plumbers swore they would not be breaking up the sidewalk, but when I arrived home, there were two and a half squares missing.

Well, the contractor kept changing the start date and ultimately never came. I kept telling myself he would eventually want the job, so I didn't want to waste the mulch. I have had four bags of mulch sitting against the fence in the back yard since last May.

The test proved true. Everywhere I put the four inches of mulch, I had virtually no weeds. However, that portion by the stoop was FILLED with them. So, while waiting for the handyman, I started pulling weeds. Since he arrived a bit late, I was able to finish the bed and put down one of those bags of mulch. The result was beautiful and clean and gave me such viewing pleasure that I chastised myself for not doing so in the first place. I spent all that time ignoring the growing weeds when I could have enjoyed the bed. What would be the cost of redoing the mulch? A few dollars? Penny wise and pound foolish I was...

Tonight, after coming home, I decided to tackle the flower bed on the other side of the stoop and the two on the side of the house. I also ripped out all the ivy that had snuck its way in again the side of the house. It was dark by the time I finished, and I was trembling so hard that I struggled to put the locks back on the sheds and the gate. However, the result was again quite beautiful in my eyes. I had spread two more bags of mulch and trimmed back some unruly bushes in addition to the weeding. I have really missed that "oneness" with the soil.

However, as I leaned my head against the shower wall for a moment a bit ago, I found myself dozing off. My boss told me once that she was so uncomfortable during her pregnancy that she slept standing against a wall. I didn't really believe her because I didn't think it was possible. But I am here to tell you that it is possible to do so even while scalding hot water is pouring down your body.

While I am off to bed quite tired and am quite confident that I will be a bit sore in the morning, I cannot wait to see the fruit of my labors by sunlight.

No comments: