Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I had the most amazing package come to me. Its journey was a bit extended by life's interruptions and a wrong address, but it was so filled with love and thoughtful care that I was...and still am...rather overwhelmed.

Words are so important. Powerful. My friend has this wonderful ability to capture the minutiae of her life by jotting down her experiences and thoughts on just about any paper at hand, be it a menu or a candy wrapper. The paper you might discard such as a church bulletin, a program from a child's school event, or notice of a workshop at a local library is just the tool she uses to craft the message of her life, to include you in her life.

I wept when I opened the package that also had another box inside. I peeked in that and then promptly decided to see how much will power I could exert in drawing out this wonderful experience. and set it aside for another day. I did take the time to savor a belated birthday card, enjoy a few iced animal crackers, and ponder over the uses for this free tin she got from Borders. It is the shape of a small book with an inspiring quote on the possibilities of literacy on the plain silver cover. Something she could have kept for herself quite readily yet passed on to me because she knows what books mean to me and how I might enjoy the small tin.

The bundle of papers, of letters and notes to me, I gathered together and wrapped with a ribbon and held the rest of the night...even while talking with my cousin. We were having a difficult conversation and I should have given him the opportunity to share in this very good and sweet thing, but I knew if I tried to speak of it to him I would weep again. Men really don't like tears, do they?

She is miles and years away in my life, but she walks with Christ and showers blessings upon me from time to time...in His perfect timing.

No comments: