Monday, March 06, 2006

I have visions of grandeur.

In a softball game, I would envision myself whacking the ball high over the pitcher's head into the outfield. Reality is, however, I could barely hit the thing a few feet and always wound up getting thrown out at first base.

In art class, I would envision myself painting the landscape of Colorado I carry around in my mind across a canvas so that someone else might feel the power of such beauty. Reality is, however, that the average second grader paints with far greater talent and perspective than I.

In the kitchen, I dream of making those mouth-watering desserts that people greet with gleeful anticipation. Reality is, however, burned cookies, brownies, cake, and candy. I can cook...but I cannot bake.

I would give good money for someone to make the following and send me a batch. One of the good memories of my childhood is this candy. I would like to taste it again.


Mexican Brown Sugar Candy

Ingredients

1 c buttermilk
2 c sugar
1 c brown sugar, packed
1 ts baking soda
1/2 ts salt
2/3 c light corn syrup
2 ts vanilla extract
2 tb melted butter
1 1/2 c pecan
1 ts hot water

Instructions

In a 4-quart saucepan cook the buttermilk, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and corn syrup over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally to 230 F or the soft ball stage. Remove from heat. Mix in vanilla and butter. Blend until thick. Add pecans and beat until creamy and thick. Stir in hot water and drop by tablespoons onto waxed paper. Cool for 2 hours before wrapping individually in clear plastic wrap.

No comments: