Saturday, March 24, 2007

After the drugs I received at the hospital, I slept until noon today. When I finally awoke, I felt quite a bit better and decided to move on to the demolition project. I am proud to say that is it complete.

I first brought all of the books upstairs and then the bookcase. Next was clearing out the closet, meaning emptying all the "pantry" shelves that stack from the floor. The two lamps and small tables were next. Finally, I brought up three of the dresser drawers so moving it around would be easier.

To begin, I had to pull up all the quarter round molding. I had thought I could keep it and just paint it and put it back, but that idea when out with the first splintered piece. Next, I had to pull out the file cabinet and TV trays out of the utility closet because those were the last boards laid. Getting the boards up around the doors was difficult, but not half as hard as getting them to the curb. The entire process, however, took a mere five hours.

I was surprised at how quickly that lovely laminate floor, the one that took two days to lay, came back up. While working, I was hot and trembling, but I concentrated on small goals: to the first bed, then take those boards out to the curb; the second bed and those boards; the last section and those boards; finish by pulling up the under-laminate layer and stuff it in garbage bags.

It is difficult for me, however, to savor the finished task for I find the sight of the plain concrete floor exceedingly depressing. I feel like I just took a giant leap backward.

No comments: