Tuesday, March 06, 2007

All that running around and the realtor had to reschedule to this afternoon. My shower and vacuuming was for naught!

When it rains, it pours.

My vacuum cleaner has decided to retire. First the hard surface floor attachment broke. Then the hose extension called it quits. Now the handle broke. When she was here, my friend B noted that if I kept some of the cord wrapped around the hooks, it would hold the handle in place. This works...but not very well. I am NOT in a position to purchase a new vacuum cleaner.

My beloved water fountain that I keep on my deck is broken. I suspect that it happened during the great freeze of February. I noticed that it was empty and went to add water, thinking that it was strange not to have any water since it has just rained. I had turned the pump off during that storm to protect the fountain, but usually have it on since running it almost always keeps the water from freezing. The water remaining in the large dish must have done the damage when it froze because there is a large crack from one side to the other and the water I added merely splashed to the deck below. The dish, unfortunately, was the most expensive piece of the fountain at nearly $100...and that was five years ago.

The battery in my cordless phone no longer holds a charge. Not wanting to spend the money on a new one until I get a job, for many months now I have been telling folks to call on my cell since answering the land line generally results in me being attached to the kitchen wall. Since holding a phone is also painful, I tell people to call me on my cell phone.

Alas, my cell phone died three times yesterday. The battery, I believe, has decided that its lifespan has reached an end. I am thinking that cell phone batteries are not exactly the most economical of battery models.

Then, tonight I was struck by this loud, high-pitch whine coming from the new heater (just a year old). [B had mentioned that it was loud when she was sleeping in the basement last week; I should have listened to her more.] I called the repair service and someone will be here on the morrow. Thankfully, I know it was replaced in March of last year, so I am crossing my fingers that the labor warranty is still in effect.

The petulant child within wants to wail over the fact that between that blasted noise ticket and all the things that are breaking I am most assuredly feeling the pressures of being rather broke just at a time when B and her husband tried to make this month financially easy for me.

The wee bright spot of this day was that I was able to play on-line Scrabble today with B. I won!


~~~~
NOTE: Just when the unemployment is running out, and I am ready to begin the temporary work that will pay little beyond those government checks, I fear I am falling ill. My throat feels as if it is coated with the sludge I found in the pipes when I first moved into this place. I keep having to swallow hard or cough ever so slightly to clear it. I also think that I am a wee bit stuffy. I need to consult with B to hear how her illness struck. Given that she is seven days gone, I am rather confident that there is no possible way her germs can be still lingering about the premises. I don't suppose I can blame Kashi?

No comments: