Sunday, March 04, 2007

I replaced the chandelier with a ceiling mount light today. I found one that I thought was fine for $18.88, so the outlay of expense was palatable given that I have entered my ninth month of unemployment. I thought the swap process would be a snap. Oh, how I was wrong.

The chandelier came down fine. The new cross-bar went up fine. I remembered to turn off the power, so uncrossing and re-crossing the wires went fine as well. Two screws to go. One screw to go. Thus far, I had only spent about 15 minutes on the job.

Alas, that final screw. Two blasted hours later, two entire hours, I finally managed to slide the final screw into the slot so that I could complete the hanging process. A few more minutes more, I had the light bulbs in and the glass shade up. [I will not write about how long I spent trying to figure out why the light was so faint until I noticed the position of the dimmer lever on the light switch.]

I was right in that the position of the light in relation to the table below is not as noticeable with the ceiling mount fixture as opposed to the chandelier. The space looks even larger now without the chandelier, the ceiling a bit higher.

However...I most discouraged by my ineptitude of the past two days...

No comments: