Monday, April 21, 2008

I am vaguely aware of Saturday. I am not sure where Sunday went.

My friend DB popped by on Saturday to heed the call of my grass. Well, actually, it hadn't really even begun to holler much...more like clearing its throat. I was huddled on the couch when he arrived, all full of vim and vigor. Popping around like a kid, he twitted and poked me as if we were hanging out on the jungle gym in an elementary school playground. Each place he poked hurt, and I told him that in no uncertain terms. He made mocking frowny faces, and but for the fact that he had not yet pushed the mower about the yard, I could have killed him had I had but even an ounce of strength. I was, as you may surmise, not in a good mood. I hurt all over.

My wrists, my ankles, my hips, my back...joints were my enemies. Aligned with them were my rather uncooperative muscles, weak muscles laced with shooting, searing pain. DB finally got the point and left to mow.

I started napping while he was working and do not really remember his departure. I did awake a while later to play with Kashi and Fancy, if you can call feebly tossing his toys about and letting Fancy waddle all over the blanket under which I was huddled (birds really are not meant to walk).

Then I crawled off to bed.

While I know I was awake on Sunday, I truly cannot relate anything of substance. I did not eat. I did not get any writing done. I did not fold any of the laundry at the end of my bed. I did see to Kashi's needs. I did make my way down to the green chair. In short, I basically spent the entire day dozing off and on, while struggling to find a bit of patience with the pain I just cannot seem to escape no matter what pills I chose from my medicine cabinet.

Last week, I stay up late with my Second Cousin D and his family because it was such a rare opportunity that I got to visit with them. I then rested in bulk before meeting up with them again late Sunday afternoon. Thursday, I stayed up late with my dear friend J because I had not seen her in 13 long years. I was so tired after working that I did not realize that I drove them around for 45 minutes trying to take them to find a late dinner. J mentioned the time when we got back and all I could think that it was a good thing that we arrived home safely. For me, it was but a moment in time. I would not change the visits for anything. I have such little company, and frankly I get rather lonely at times, wishing I had places to go and people to see.

But if I did...could I? Could I go and see and do on something other than a rare basis?

Blurred vision, fatigue, and pain seem to have been my new normal of late. I am not ready for this to be true.

No comments: