Sunday, April 27, 2008

I had a good day today!

My friend L needed company on a trek to an outlet mall, so I agreed to take a road trip with her. I nearly left my wallet at home because I did not want to spend money, just enjoy her company. That would have been a mistake.

Her reason for going was to treat herself with a new Coach bag,her treat from their tax return. However, the store was filled with so many shoppers, we could barely squeeze ourselves inside. Just a few moments of being a sardine was enough for L, and I was glad to follow her back outside. We then set out to cross off a few more things from her household list.

In one store, I found this tiny dish that was perfect for Fancy's daily rice offering. I have been using the top of a plastic container, but did not really like putting it in the microwave over and over again to reheat the rice. The dish was only $0.95. A genuine bargain. I bought two so that I could always have a clean one. Right next to the dish were some dish towels that were just plain beautiful. I picked through the pile of them because when D was here with her children, I realized after running through two dish towels rather quickly that perhaps the three I had might not be enough. I bought two of them that paired nicely in my opinion, so my total at the store was $12.01. You would probably laugh if you saw dish towels because you would know I was thinking of my dear friend B at the time...they are a rich floral pattern that is a brocade, with the base color of one green and the other purple.

But the best was yet to come!

Chico's, my favorite clothing store, has an outlet in the complex. At first I was not going to bother checking it out because while I have a gift card that has been sitting in my wallet, I just don't want to shop with my recent weight gain. However, I did venture inside and found two suits, one blazer, two shells, and one blouse for the amazing price of $131! That means I have more than half the gift card left and yet walked out of the store with a bag full of clothing! I was plumb giddy for a while.

I did make one other purchase: a small black metal basket with six round holes for glass votive holders that are sized for tea light candles (think of a small-sized milk bottle container). Three years ago, someone gave me a package of 100 citronella tea light candles. They have been sitting on a shelf because I did not know what to do with them. Now, I can put them in the holder, light them, and sit outside in the evening without worrying about the mosquitoes, leaving the glass holders in the basket or spreading them around the deck.

I consider the $12.10 purchase an early birthday present to myself, since it was not particularly as necessary as the small dishes and the towels were. Besides, L said that it was almost embarrassing how little I spent at an outlet mall since the gift card didn't count. I think I did fairly well given how much I admired but resisted carrying over to a register--just under $25.

L's best bargain was this very tall, glass vase that was originally listed at $99.99 and ultimately marked down to $10.00. She also found two frames for photos on her desk at work and a small basket with a lid to hold extra toilet paper in her power room half-bath, both of which were marked down 40%. Not a bad day of shopping.

Throughout the excursion, L was so very kind in carrying all the bags while we shopped. She is so very thoughtful of my needs, from parking to walking to bags to carts. I was humbled by her care.

L even went a step further and popped over to The Home Depot before we left Leesburg so that I could get the weed killer for the lawn. And she stopped by a grocery store when we were back near her home so that I could get the Gatorade, rice, milk, and other supplies I needed for my cupboard.

Before heading home, we picked up Chinese food and had dinner with her husband B. I'm probably the thousandth person to say it, but the Lord sure made a match with them. I've never met two people more meant to spend their lives together. They are truly two halves of a whole.

The day was long, with much driving and riding in cars, which means much pain for me. I was most stiff getting out at the grocery store. Yet the day was so very wonderful, full of fellowship and laughter and such good company, especially with the thoughtful care L showered upon me. The bargain shopping was just an added fillip to the blessing that is L and her husband B and the friendship they have offered.

No comments: