Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I could say that I was half-way through my marathon week, but thoughts of blowing a vacation day on Friday to extend the holiday weekend further are dancing around my head. Were that to be the case, I am on the downhill road to completing this arduous journey.

Again, I have hours still to go, hours and hours and hours. I did manage to work with my writing student this evening. Our plans included spending one hour on homework/work items and two hours on our stories. We ended up working the entire time on our obligations instead of our desires. I must admit, though, that while I wanted to spend time with Megan and Aryanth, I surprised myself with some purely academic thinking. I am not through, but I am writing about the component concepts of communications without finding some sort of reference, thinking theoretical all on my own and loving it.

I discovered something surprising to me today. Last Monday, while golfing, I got a free Gatorade and ended up bringing it home. It was Orange, which I remember not liking, but I kept it because it was free (I'm still struggling with the ramifications of $4,500 combo of accident and new HVAC system). Tonight, I drank it because it was available in the refrigerator and I was reluctant to haul myself down the steps to the basement for a new bottle of the Gatorade that I prefer (Have I mentioned lately that I am tired?). Well, what do you know! I actually guzzled the Orange greedily and was saddened to see the empty bottle. I am thinking that my next Gatorade run should include more Orange.

Here is my thoughts on continuums that I popped into my concept paper:

Note: Many consider a continuum to be represented in one dimensional, linear format. However, often continuums are best represented in two or three dimensions. For example, questions inform answers and answers often lead to more questions. Therefore, the Q&A process exists on a continuum, one that may best be represented in a two dimensional format. One example would be a rectangle bisected from one corner to another. Any vertical line drawn within the box would have some part question and some part answer. Since, conversations can be written, aural, and/or visual, a three dimensional representation may serve best. A pyramid, with the three mechanisms of conversation represented on each side, could serve as a visual representation of a conversation, with the continuum being a plane, on any axis, slicing through the pyramid.

No comments: