Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Speaking of getting it right, I have learned that I have been torturing my grass.

"Mow it lower! You need to put it on the lowest setting. Get it right!" My mother has many times berated me about mowing the lawn right. So, for the past four years, I have ever vigilant about getting it lower and lower. My have I gotten good at it.

However, my best friend, during her last visit, very gently told me that I was mowing my lawn too low! What? I was ever so sure that she was completely wrong. Alas, come to find that a person's lawn should be much, much higher than a quarter of an inch.

http://www.turfgrasssod.org/lawninstitute/homelawn_programs.htm

Having studied the above, I realized why the new lawn I grew from seed last year died. I killed it. When I think of all those weeks of watering every morning and every evening as I did three cycles of seeding, I could cry since it was all for naught. ARGH!

So, I have not mowed for two weeks to see if I could let my new grass recover enough to save it from permanent harm. I may be succeeding. I think that now I know why the front yard died off so quickly, I might try again.

What do you think? Can I get it right?

No comments: