Friday, May 26, 2006

Today was my first day of my four-day holiday, but I practically spent the whole day running around with my father to help him get his Passport application off for processing and pick up a few things we both needed.

My b-day is just a week or so away and for it, I have asked those who might be leaning toward a gift to send just money because I would like to pool it toward a video camera. I want to start recording those things about my life that I am forgetting or might forget. I want to make memories for later. But I also want to do more. I want to capture the family stories that my father tells me nearly every time we are together. He is loath to be on film, but he is the only one left to carry this history and his memory if failing more quickly than mine. Never more have I been convinced of this than I have been today.

Last night, he called me back four times in a row to ask the same questions about coming over today. Five total calls and I still wondered if he would show up today.

He called this morning to say he was lost. This is the second time in three trips over here that he has had to point out landmarks and streets to me for me to figure out where he is and navigate him back toward my home. Those of you who know me understand the lucridiousness of this. I am, possibly, the most navigationly challenged person in America.

I had to walk him through his papers at the Post Office again and again. Once we finished and we had walked outside, he wanted to go back inside to retrieve his birth certificate. I had to reassured him again and again that he was supposed to submit it with his application and he would get it back. I told him so while we were at Target, at Petco, and when he was getting in the car.

He is only 63. I hate what is happening to him and the fact that he won't go see a doctor when there is so many good drugs these days for what he is experiencing.

I did have to get up at 8:00 after staying up until 2:00 to try and send the file. At least this morning it went through and I have tomorrow and Sunday and Monday to sleep.

Right now, my bed is calling me.

No comments: