Wednesday, January 24, 2007

For some reason I could never determine, my scanner stopped working with my other laptop. I kept getting a connection error. I could scan once or twice, but no more. Sometimes it would disconnect four or five times in one scan. So, I abandoned it.

When I received the replacement laptop, I thought I would try again. Yet, this time I could not open the software that manages the scanner. I didn't think to pursue the matter again until two days ago. Voila! There was a known conflict with the latest version of Internet Explorer and the HP software.

With my scanner up and running, I returned to my project (a year late now) of cataloguing and scanning all the family historical photos that were discovered once my grandmother died. Some of them date back to the early 1800's.

Here is one of my great grandmother on her honeymoon. I wonder where she was, what they were doing. I have photos from her childhood and many, many of them from my grandmother's childhood.

My grandmother had a godfather who doted on her wholeheartedly. Charles E. Frees was a noted engineer with projects in Mexico, South America, and the Southeastern US. He sent her copious amounts of photos of his projects and took many of the ones of her youth. The collection was truly a staggering discovery.

However, the photos and documents brought tears as well as joy. For one, my grandmother had a half-brother she kept hidden from her children. My grandmother, while remarkable in her public life, was not so in her private life. No one holds a grudge as did she, punishing those whom she felt betrayed her for a lifetime. Perhaps she couldn't forgive her father for having a child from his first marriage.

I Googled him and connected with the son-in-law of his own son. Both my great-uncle and his son have passed away, but there is a significant branch of the family in Kentucky. I hope to connect with them and exchange photos and history. However, the contact said the family is quite private. Time will tell.




Speaking of time, I thought I would add one more photo. It is another one of my great grandmother...I am the child on the left.

No comments: