Friday, January 19, 2007

I polished off another chapter yesterday...or actually this morning. I wrote through the entire night and on into the rather non-wee hours of this day, i.e., nearly 8:00 AM. I believe that makes three chapters in the past week or so.

While I was writing this one, there was this point during which I felt as if I were Adam (the pastor) sitting down near a lake talking with Megan, sharing a bit of his past that makes him who he is this day. All these thoughts and feelings poured out before I even realized what was happening.

My writing works that way at times. One minute I will by typing away along in a direction I believe the plot is going and the next histories and personal experiences of a character explode on the page, something I had neither planned nor anticipated.

I mean, I know that I had made Ruth and Adam close siblings as children because their mother never let them play much out of her own fear that one of them might die has had her own brother. However, I had not anticipated how Adam's conflict over those early years in trying to understand that his mother really did love him and dealing with his own anger and resentment might play a role in reaching out to Megan. It just happened that way.

Of course, as with most everything about this story, I immediately liked the felicitous happenstance. I just wonder if readers will as well.

No comments: