Monday, January 15, 2007

I think that someone should gift me a book with the topic of 101 things to do with chicken!

On the way home this afternoon after stopping by to celebrate with my writing student's middle brother, who has now entered double digits, I battled an overwhelming desire to just go out an charge some sumptuous meal. I called my best friend B to chat so I could resist the urge. However, my conversation centered around pizza and also mentioned Thai and Indian food. Not a great effort at avoiding the desire, eh?

Well, when I arrived home, I peered into my kitchen cabinets and refrigerator and tried to figure out what I could make that was new, that was not Tex-Mex in nature (although I am very much looking forward to consuming my next chicken quesadilla, don't get me wrong). I settled on trying to make chicken pizza, because I do happen to have a fresh ball mozzarella (having had the fresh stuff in Italy, it is hard go back to the packaged shredded stuff).

I cooked the chicken with the dry-rub and sliced it thinly. I made a crust, topped it with Prego sauce, Oregano, the chicken, and thinly sliced mozzarella. That sounds like a good meal, eh?

It should have been a great meal, a significant change from my current budget fare, and tasty in its own right. It should have been.

Unfortunately, I do not have any yeast. I Googled for some pizza dough recipes, but they all required yeast. I then went back and stared at the cabinets. Buried at the back of the top shelf, I found an old box of Bisquick. Back on Google, I found four different Bisquick mix pizza dough recipe and picked one of them.

I am not sure if basically it is just not a good idea to even think of Bisquick and pizza at the same time or if it is just that the box I used was most likely at least a half dozen years old if not more. And it was opened.

The crust was horrible. I actually spit out the first bite I took. Is this a metaphor for how crappy my life has been going of late?

After battling my utter disappointment (after all the crust baked up golden brown), I slid off the sauce, cheese, and chicken, pretended it was Chicken Parmesan, and finished eating my meal.

2 comments:

ftwayne96 said...

That's the way it goes. Sometimes life is like a stale Bisquick pizza crust. And sometimes it's yeasty, hand-tossed pizza perfection!

Myrtle said...

Love that!