Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I am up still...writing.

Just now, however, I am watching my puppydog sleep. He is dreaming. Running through some field, I would surmise by his paws moving back and forth. He barks from time to time, though it is muffled since his mouth remains closed. His tail will wag, too, but only in the tiniest movements. I love watching him dream and try to imagine the joy he is having.

Sometimes, when he is dreaming, I would swear he is nursing. Can a dog remember that far back?

I find it fascinating that he even dreams in the first place.

He knows many words. He has learned appropriate behavior. He is playful, often throwing his ball for himself in an attempt to get me to join him. He is sneaky, remembering things he shouldn't do and tries to get away with them anyway. He tries to make up with me when he has snapped at me. He is stubborn, often enjoining in a staring contest as a way of letting me know that he is choosing to sit. [Blind obedience is not a trait of Shiba Inus.] He snuggles with me when I am most upset and remains aloof when he wishes to be by himself. And he dreams.

He is a dog...and yet he dreams.



Perhaps, I should let my day end and see if there are any dreams awaiting me.

No comments: