Saturday, January 20, 2007

Today, I found myself once more trying to help that international organization that is an utter mess in a virtual volunteering task. Some months ago, I had told them that until they had a business plan, a communications plan, and a strategic vision plan, they were not really in a position to utilize virtual volunteers--the work was too disjointed and ineffective. I should have said they were trying to hold their finger in a hole of the Hoover Dam. Really, none of them can clearly communicate anything!

I had also told them once they had done so, I would be willing to do discrete tasks for them. So, they sent me their inaugural eNewsletter...a 7-page MS Word document with a overly long, rambling letter from the new executive director. I edited the letter and the newsletter. However, I just couldn't resist. I re-worked a PageMaker template into a more polished and professional newsletter for them. I do not know if they will use it. The person currently working on the newsletter proposed I become their Editor-in-Chief. Yep...sucked right back into their black hole!

I will say that during the volunteer work today, I learned how to add a hyperlink to a PDF document after it has been created. Score 1 for me!

This evening, I engaged in a joint cooking operation at my writing student's house today. Our appetizer was my favorite spinach dip recipe. I cooked chicken with the Mexican dry rub marinade and a summer squash faux souffle. My writing student's mother put together a great salad and roasted potatoes and carrots. Oh, my...can she roast. Of course, it does help that she can just trot out to her back yard for fresh rosemary. Really, it is a huge, heart plant residing in her garden.

We also watched the remake of Yours, Mine, and Ours. The original is an absolute favorite of mine. Since Dennis Quaid did a great remake of Parent Trap, I had hopes for this one. While I did hear scuttlebutt that it a negative tone, I found the movie pleasantly surprising. It was a modern interpretation, but it lacked the outright sarcasm and disrespect that was found in the butchered remake of Cheaper By the Dozen. I could have done without the family pet being a pig, but I experienced quite a few guffaws throughout the viewing.

Upon returning home, I logged onto the Internet and applied to two jobs, one close and one a wee bit of a wicked commute. However, the close one is my first step in abandoning my hope of marrying my skills and interests to a job. Frankly, I applied for a high paying executive assistant position. I think I shall weep for days should I be hired there, but it would be better than remaining unemployed.

~~~~
NOTE: There was an error on the sumptuous Strawberry Bread recipe on my January 13, 2007 blog entry. I forgot to put how much oil to use. It is now correct!

No comments: