Saturday, February 24, 2007

Have you ever been a complete and utter sluggard? Today, B and I spent the day in our pajamas, watching movies, TV shows, and playing many games in between feeding her children and changing their diapers. I actually won a few of the games, something that is not always par for the course in pitting my mind against her mental acumen.

B even climbed into a purple set of my lounging pajamas to get into the mood with me. Such support, eh? I tried to express my gratitude for her visit, her gift, and the many ways in which she says I love you to me. My creative expression? Shelling an entire mesh bag of pistachios.

I do not enjoy any nut besides the peanut, most particularly the cashew and the pistachio. Shelling the latter took nearly two hours, three broken nails, and an entire set of sore fingertips. You see, B bought the bag of pistachios for her trip home. She had mentioned that she planned to shell them before she left so that eating them wouldn't interfere with her driving. Ah hah! I thought. Here is one way that I can say thank you to B. Finishing the task was also a great big I love you!

For the past few days, I have been changing diapers, getting the children dressed, preparing meals (okay, I admit that much of this has been nuking food), and cleaning the dishes--all in an attempt to show her how glad I am she made the trip. Today's labor hopefully drove the message home.

The icing on the cake for me was that the labor took place between the movies, the games, and cuddling with the world's easiest baby.

~~~~
NOTE: I did discover J's one flaw: He hates baths. No cooing and dribbling soapy water down his tummy to make him laugh. For a wee one who had much to say to you when playing with him, J's only opinion is that bath's stink and all such cleansing activity should cease.

Tonight, I went to wash his feet before putting him in his pajamas since they were a bit clammy. The wailing and waterworks started when the first drop of water touched his toes and ceased when the water flow did. What I found humorous was that after I had dried his feet and was holding him in my arms, I turned the water back on to rinse something. The wailing rose once more until I turned off the water. I thought it was too funny.

Still, for a child who only makes his dismay known when he is hungry and a few times when he is wet, I would say that he is the epitome of every new mother's dream baby. He laughs, gurgles, and smiles at you when you engage with him. He loves his bouncy seat and prefers to have some individual play time every few hours or so. He eats, falls asleep, and naps without protest. How much easier could it get?

No comments: