Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I would challenge you to read this article on the have nots of Walter Reed Hospital. By the second page, I was crying. No matter what you feel about the war in which we are engaged, I would hope that you have compassion for the men and women who have fought according to their duty. It is unconscionable to think that across the street from one of America's most state-of-the-art hospital are long-term patients residing in mouse and cock-roach infested buildings, often fending for themselves or relying on the assistance of their families. Today, NBC ran a follow-up piece showing frenetic cleaning, painting, and other-wise covering up the neglect.

Read the article. Read from beginning to end. And pray. Pray for wisdom and discernment for those who can ameliorate this egregious perfidy for these brave men and women. Pray for healing and hope to flood those buildings and the hearts of those residing there. Pray for peace.

~~~~
On this day, in addition to searching for a job, evaluating possible places to live, writing a bit on the novel, scanning one of the three remaining large packets of photos, and sorting the second of them, I managed to do four loads of laundry and a fifth that was all the curtains in my home. I also changed the sheets on all three beds and cleaned the kitchen floor, the stairs, and both bathrooms from stem to stern.

Before B and her two young children arrive on the morrow, I would like to clean the bird cage and the refrigerator, dust, and vacuum. Much yet to do, eh?

I did have a lovely conversation with my dear friend W, much of it concerning the rather unexpected phone call from my brother. She is such a wise and witty woman, an amazing combination that has been a balm to my soul for over twenty-five years.

No comments: