Sunday, February 11, 2007

My papa came over this afternoon for another mini-movie marathon. Thus far, we have watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith, National Treasure, and John. Q. We just popped in The Chamber to finish off the evening.

I will say that I did not quite manage to successfully avoid a viewing of The Capitol, a ten-hour, four-part look at the history, politics, and architecture of the nation's capitol. He brings it over each movie marathon, and heretofore I had managed to have him take it home untouched. Today, I was treated to three hours of it. My father gets so excited that it is hard to deny him his pleasure...but it is equally hard to be enthusiastic about it. I personally find the series a bit slow, disorganized, and not very engaging for an admittedly interesting topic.

Something I did find intriguing was how very familiar the dome looked. Just over a year ago I had stood beneath the "models" in Italy.

What was disheartening was the fact that still, at least until the making of this 2006 series, no official mention in the Capitol tours is made of the fact that the symbol of freedom was built on the backs of slave labor. There was mention of the friendly views of Native Americans in the paintings of the rotunda, one depicting a treaty. However, while the commentators mentioned the slave labor, they did not mention the fact that virtually every treaty with the Native Americans was violated, "renegotiated" once value was found on the land granted the Native Americans, or otherwise ignored.

I mean, really, how can the US Capitol stand as a symbol and bastion for freedom when the very nation was wrested from its original inhabitants?

I am thankful, despite my current circumstances, for being born in a country that is wide open for opportunity and full of basic freedoms many, many people around the world do not enjoy. I am. I just wish more people, including the members of our government, would acknowledge the true history of our nation.

No comments: